Therefore encourage one another and edify one another, just as you are doing. 1 Thessalonians 5:11

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Thank God I'm a Woman with Guest Poster: Osayi Osar-Emokpae

Today's Guest is Osayi Osar-Emokpae. I'm sure you will enjoy what she has to share!



“The special gift and ability of each creature defines its special limitations. And as the bird easily comes to terms with the necessity of bearing wings when it finds that it is, in fact, the wings that bear the bird -- up, away from the world, into the sky, into freedom -- so the woman who accepts the limitations of womanhood finds in those very limitations her gifts, her special calling -- wings, in fact, which bear her up into perfect freedom, into the will of God.” ~ Elisabeth Elliot (Let me be a Woman)

I’m emotional every day of the month, but there are some days that I am more emotional than others. I used to get really upset with myself when I would have emotional outbursts. I used to get so frustrated when I would be bothered by what people said or what people felt about me. I would wonder why I couldn’t be more like my brothers and my other friends. Why oh why did I always have to take things so personally?

There was the day when I got upset at my best friend because he said he “understood” what I was going through. “Really? Do you really? Could you really?” Was my response. Poor guy, he didn’t even see it coming. Or the day that just about everything everyone said sounded like such an insult or a stupid idea. Or the day I felt like everything (and I mean everything) was just a complete waste of time and that my life had been a complete waste so far.

I could see how easy it was for men to get along with each other, and how easy it was for them to compartmentalize the challenges at work. While I took every heartache and every challenge personally and carried the emotions with me everywhere I went. I disliked being a woman because it meant I attached an emotion to everything. I disliked being a woman because I often felt my male peers did not take me seriously. I disliked being a woman because I hated how weak I felt in certain situations, and how mechanics and car salesmen always took advantage of me. I disliked being a woman because I thought about how I would have to give up my last name, give up my figure, give up my career, and give up my life for my family. I disliked being a woman because I focused constantly on everything I would be losing, instead of everything I would be gaining.

But lately I’ve been learning about what a beautiful thing it is to be a woman. Because I feel so deeply it means I can appreciate more deeply. I am empathetic, which makes it easier for me to make friends and cherish my friends. And when I am discounted purely because I am a woman, I find ways to excel regardless. And when people try to take advantage of me because I am a woman, God always finds a way to protect me, because I am His woman.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that all women have these characteristics. What I am saying is that the things I saw as the weakness of my womanhood have become strengths. And because I am thankful for my womanhood, I am able to appreciate more and more about myself and cherish the time that God has given me.

I’m thankful that God made me a woman, I’m thankful that my parents continually remind me that womanhood is a privilege. What a privilege it is to be the woman that will help my future husband to do all that he could never accomplish without me. What a privilege it is to bring life to another and provide a supporting foundation for them. What a privilege it is to be loved by a God who has chosen to bless me with so many privileges.

So how about you? What are you most thankful for about your womanhood?



Bio: Osayi Osar-Emokpae is the author of Impossible is Stupid (http://impossibleisstupid.com) a book that encourages Christians singles to thrive. She is one of the “anonymous” co-hosts of the “I am seriously single” podcast. You can learn more about appreciating womanhood on her blog http://iyasostuff.com


Thank you so much for taking time to share with our readers on today. I look forward to you partaking in our blog again. May God continue to bless you abundantly!



3 comments:

  1. Praise God! I enjoy womanhood! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! What a privilege it is to be a woman! :-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the opportunity! it has been a privilege!

    ReplyDelete